Ranking high on Google will help you attain more customers and increase your sales. It is not an easy feat to rank high on the search engine with millions of websites on there. However, there are some tricks to ensure that your website can be found by as many people as possible on Google.
Step 1: Submit your URL
First things first, you will want Google to be aware of your website. Google does not always find websites themselves. Instead, it is best to submit your URL to the search engine so that it recognises you.
Search engines, like Google, crawl through millions of pages on the web when someone searches for something. It has millions to get through, so you won’t want yours to be missed.
To speed up the process and rank higher on Google’s search engine, it will help you submit your URL before you publish your website. That way, you will speed up the search process and ensure that as many people can discover your website as possible.
Step 2: Use keywords
Keywords are one of the most effective ways of enhancing your search engine optimisation (SEO). Google crawls through millions of sites before selecting those to display to the user. If you have the correct keywords on your website, then Google will detect them and show your website to those looking for that specific keyword.
For example, if you are a marketing company and offer automation services, then using the keyword “automation” throughout your website will allow Google to recognise that you offer that service and show your website to the user.
It is most effective to use keywords in titles, meta descriptions, and tags, as Google will pick up on those first. Ensure not to overuse keywords as Google might flag your website as a scam. Similarly, try not to use keywords that are too common, as your website may get lost in the sea of other similar and higher-ranking websites.
Try to use niche and unusual keywords that reflect your business, so that you can be discovered by the right audience.
Step 3: Create great website content
When you are creating your website content, you will want to be smart about it. Sharing website content of no value or interest will decrease the amount of time that people spend on your website. If Google recognises that your website is only used for 10 seconds before clicking off, then the search engine might not prioritise it and push it down the rankings.
To optimise your content, you can:
- Use multimedia: you should make your content engaging using multimedia. If a user sees plain text, they might lose interest easily. If you add images, videos, and interactive features, then it will likely engage audiences and keep them on your site for longer, which will boost your Google ranking.
- Speed up your website: as well as great SEO and media forms, you will want to ensure that your website is fast. A slow website will soon lose customers. Use a web hosting platform that offers quick loading times to engage audiences.
- Analyse your website’s data: you should frequently analyse your website’s data to see what is popular and what’s not. Spending more time on the areas where customers spend time will enhance your website SEO and increase sales for your business.
Step 4: New for 2021, Core Web Vitals release
Google’s Core Web Vitals refers to the loading time, performance, and stability of your website. If your website is fast, interactive, and visual, then you will increase your conversion rates and boost traffic. And Google likes this.
The measurement is based in three areas:
- Largest contentful paint: the amount of time to load the largest part of the website visible in the user’s device
- First input delay: The time taken for the browser to respond to the first thing a user does – e.g. clicking a link, pressing a button etc.
- Cumulative layout shift: a measurement of all of the unexpected movements of content across a whole web page (think horrible pop ups / ads or buttons appearing out of nowhere). Less is better here as Google, and of course users, prefers less jumping around of content.
Step 5: Don’t forget the metatags
Meta tags are small pieces of code that define what’s on a web page. Using meta tags at the top of your website pages will ensure to help increase your SEO and get your website found on Google.
Within meta tags, it is beneficial to use keywords to boost the chance of audiences discovering your website.
Step 6: If you’re local, submit your website to local and online directories
The more backlinks you have to your website, the better.
A backlink is a link to your website that is located and accessible on other websites. The more backlinks you have, the more trustworthy your website appears to Google.
Submitting your website to local and online directories will increase your backlinks and help you be discoverable by users of local directories.
Many customers use local directories as they know that they will find reputable and reliable businesses. You can often submit your business for free using directories. It is a great way of making your website discoverable by more people on Google.
Step 7: Ensure it is accessible and easy-to-use on all devices
Ensuring that your website is user-friendly across multiple devices is key. A good web design that is easy to navigate and clear will ensure to engage customers quickly and for longer.
Using simple colours and tappable features will help users navigate your website. If a website is difficult to navigate, users will quickly lose interest. Hence, it will reduce the time that customers spend on your website, which will hinder your Google SEO.
Seeing as most people use their mobiles nowadays for searching the web, it is ideal to make sure that your website is mobile-friendly. Most websites will automatically be easy-to-use for computer users. Thus, you must focus on mobile navigation. Putting the website to the test before publishing it and sharing it will ensure that all customers have a smooth process and stay engaged with your business website from day one.
On a mobile, your content will need to look good and load quickly. Thus, ensure to use simple design and create content that is easy to follow so that users feel encouraged to use your website. Again, the longer a user spends on your website, the better your SEO will be.
The landscape of SEO and ways to get your website seen on Google is always changing. Yet, using these tips are what you need to get started and enhance your audience.